Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Wholesome life - Making My Own Dish Soap

Since I started to be a stay at home Mom, I am trying to make my home more wholesome and less chemicals. After making my own handwash, now I'm making my own dish soap.

This is the recipe that I am using:









This works great! Except that my hubby keep thinking it's too watery and use the entire tube within a week! So now I am exploring ways to make it thicker. At first I still argue back that it's great the way it is. Dr. Bronner is a great degreaser. But now I think back, maybe his resistance is to help me do a more perfect dish wash liquid soap. Just like the commercial ones, without all the chemicals!

*note that the watery liquid dish soap works great without having to be thick*


So now I am exploring ways to make it thicker. To my delight, it's really simple. Just add salt! I read on a website that just add 3 tablespoons of salt to water in a cup first, then pour into mixture and mix. Be careful, too much salt will make it turn back to water. Wait 3 days for it to thicken.








Left: This is after a day of sitting. I used the recipe above and added 5 drops of lemon eo and 5 drops of peppermint eo. I read that peppermint also thicken mixture. And also 1 teaspoon of salt water.

Right: only 10 drops of lemon eo and 3 teaspoon of salt water.








This is the right side. Seems to be thickening already.

To be updated on results after 2 days. :)

22/05/2017
Update: it's strange but the first batch I used is very watery. I thought I did it wrongly and it's a failed experiment. And my hubby "threaten" to use back the normal chemical laden dish soap. While the first batch finished, I loaded it with the rest of the 2 containers that have 1 teaspoon and 3 teaspoon of salt each. Behold! The detergent that came out is actually slightly thick! Very strange because both was thin and watery. I'm thinking maybe both of them mixed to eventually get the correct ratio for thickening of dish soap! Anyways it's great news for me. Haha.

Hmm.. will experiment again and update here. :)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


No comments: