Wednesday, May 02, 2012



Recently I'm reading a book that a colleague lent me, called Courage to Succeed by Ruben Gonzalez.

It's a fantastic book. A true example of a man who became successful simply because of the success principles that he live by. Below is a few excerpts of this book, which I wanted to write down just to remind myself.


     "You see, a dreamer will never be understood by a non-dreamer. If a dreamer takes a non-dreamer's advice, he'll just go home, he wont do anything with his life, and ultimately die of a broken heart." 

This part is so true.. I was 17 years old when I wanted to take on animation, but because my mom had strongly opposed to it, she feels that as an artist, I cannot make any money, so even though I was accepted to the animation course that I wanted, young at 17, I allowed her opinions to be part of me, thinking that I'm not original enough (as art needs a lot of originality) to make it, and I relented after a few quarrels with her. So I did not pursue my dream of being an animator. I was aimlessly drifting about, not interested in working nor anything that is driving me much in life.This went on for whole TEN YEARS. And I did have a broken heart at that whole time. In fact, I was thinking, I was so near, but I gave up. And the fact that I couldn't do what my heart tells me was killing me slowly. Many a times, I visualized myself on deathbed, regretting my life choices. Time was slowly passing by, without me in it. And later on, after 10 years, I decided to quit my low paying job to really take on animation lessons. It wasn't easy as I did not have any source of income, only odd jobs, but I knew that I HAD to make it work, as this was my only chance at succeeding my dream of being an animator. I was 27 years old, too old to switch to careers where artists came out at 21 years old. Numerous people whom I talked to discouraged me to pursue my dreams. Even teachers who were teaching animation at that point of time discouraged me. Even my so-called best friend, one day chided me for being silly to pursue my dreams at this very old age and asked me to continue my low-paying job instead! Now thinking back, it was so ridiculous. But at that time, it was very detrimental for me. But I stood strong and believed in myself where no one else did. I'm glad I did. The deathbed regret was much bigger than failing in becoming an animator. But I realized that it could be so much easier for me if I had known to surround myself with like minded people, I would have soar even higher and faster. And happier in the process too. But I got to see who are my true friends through this.

  "Associating with negative people makes us thinks negatively. Close contact with petty individuals develops petty habits in us. On the other hand, companionship with 'big idea' type of people raises the level of our thinking. Close contact with ambitious people causes us to become more ambitious. Here's a great rule of thumb: If you're the smartest, or the most motivated person in your group, its time to find a new group."

I have quite a few good friends and colleagues who are big on inspiration and ideas. Which are great now.
But I used to come from a time where I loved to party, and many friends who partied with me, are people who don't have many dreams, who just think of partying and having fun all the time. They didn't want to suffer to be successful. They rather be comfortable and not win, and because they hadn't tried, so they didn't fail as well. At times, I feel difficult, as pursuing your dreams is already taking a lot of effort, plus what if the people beside you keep pulling you down whenever? Surrounded by these people, I tend to be lazy, and give up easily. But that's not what I want in life. I have to pull myself out from these people and surround myself with positive and encouraging people. Because.... I'm afraid I can't hold on long because of them. I can't afford that to happen. Life is short. I need to take it to the fullest. One of the ways you can surround yourself with the most successful and positive people in the world is though books (biographies) and videos (inspirational).

   "Fly with eagles, and you'll start to think, feel and act like an eagle."

   "I came to the realization that if someone laughed at my dream, they were laughing at me. if they did not believe in me, I stopped associating with them. I had to. Because they had the power to make doubt myself and, ultimately, quit."

   "Most people will react to the pursuit of your dream in three stages: First they will laugh at you: then, they will watch you; and, finally, they will begin to admire you. Don't listen to 'the dream stealers'. Follow your heart."

I see this all the time. Usually if you do persevere in your dream, they will change and later on come to ask you how you did it. Or say they admire you for doing so. So don't listen to them when they first criticize or laugh at you. Just give it time, they will turn around and say,"Wow, you really did it."

Most of the time, at the time when we give up, in reality, we are so close to victory. Now having grown up and after reading numerous inspiration books on successful people, I realized that if I had carried on wanting to go on the animation course, even though I couldn't buy the textbooks (my mom cut me off in money so I couldn't buy the animation course notes/books). If I had just persisted, and kept on attending the animation course, even without money, I'm pretty sure my mom would have given in after 2 or 3 months, when she sees me being so serious about it. But I gave up right after a few quarrels, so I really did not display any realness in wanting that dream either. These obstacles in pursuing your dreams, are to filter out the people whom are not serious in wanting that dream. After all, if life is not like this, then the whole world would be filled with successful people, and that would be nothing special about it, isn't it?

No comments: